Frontiers to Forever: Independence Day - it's not about you!

Frontiers to Forever

Enter the exciting life of a Housewife, Mother, Homeschooler, and so much more! Who knew staying home could be so fascinating!! I have lots to say about simplicity, frugality, and family. Life in the slow lane, from a Christian perspective.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vermont, United States

Christian, Homemaker, Wife and Mother of 4. I love my 'simple' country life. I'm all about finding the bottom line - how little do we really need? In 2008 I started getting interested in the preparedness movement. I'm not Fannie Farmer by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm making an honest effort to change the way my family lives. We raise a small flock of laying hens and are attempting to take our backyard garden seriously. We still buy too many prepackaged goods and spend too much time in front of the screens though.

7/05/2005

Independence Day - it's not about you!

We've survived the holiday - living around here you see some interesting interpretations of "Independence". I'm more intereted in the historical value of the holiday - that is to say - I celebrate the memory of those who sacrificed and worked to give us this great country. Others view it as a celebration of their personal freedom - I don't disagree with that either (at least not completely). I think, perhaps, the later group should consider the deeper meaning of Independence Day. At it's purest form - the holiday commemorates the signing of the Declaration of Independence which signified our separation from England and the formation of a new nation. It also was the halmark of the Revolutionary War (or the War for Independence), one of only two US wars fought upon our own soil, and where women and children became casualties.

Far too many Americans use July 4th as a reason to "celebrate their freedoms", speaking out against the things they disagree with and celebrating the freedom to do other things. I don't see that as the point of the holiday - of course they are free to do and say as they wish, all 365 days of the year. I prefer to set aside this day as a remembrance of the sacrifices of others - so I will never take my freedom for granted. Too many Americans wear their freedoms like a crown. Sure they are a birthright, God given and irrevocable - but a price was paid for them, a high price.

"The Patriot" is one of my favorite movies. Although mostly fictional, I think it gives a clear picture of the struggle and sacrifice that we should be celebrating. Take your eyes and minds off yourself for once and show some respect for those who gave you your freedoms.
“America is great because America is good. But if America ceases to
be good, it will cease to be great.”
Alexis de Tocqueville
(I know that some people say this quote is "bogus" because it is not supported by physical evidence - that does not mean that de Tocqueville didn't say it - it just means that we don't have a piece of paper to prove it. Many stories and quotes do not have supporting physical proof of their origins - particularly those that are more than 150-200 years old)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home